When we start to have negative thoughts, it can be hard to stop them! Here are ten things I do to overcome my negative thoughts and avoid going down a path that is painful and unnecessary. Try them out yourself!
1 . Sing. Every time I do sing I always feel better. When we sing, we express our feelings and this provides an amazing stress relief. Believe it or not, these days your TV cable company probably includes a free Karaoke Channel!
2. Do Yoga or Qi Gong. Both of these ancient practices take your focus away from your unsupportive thoughts and bring your attention to your breath. Consciously breathing helps your energy, or “chi”, to flow smoothly throughout your body, promoting good health and well being.
3. Tap it out with “EFT”. I use Emotional Freedom Technique almost daily! I love teaching it to people because it is the fastest way I’ve yet discovered to transform negative thoughts and emotions. In just a few minutes you can shift your mood, relieve stress and heal yourself at the deepest level.
4. Surround yourself with positive people. When you’re stuck in a negative spiral, talk to people who can put things into perspective, uplift you and won’t feed your negative thinking.
5. Don’t play the “Poor Me”. Step it up and create your life. Negative thinking keeps us stuck. We will always have the power to choose a better feeling thought and to make new, amazing things happen.
6. Contribute to Someone. Take the focus away from you and do something thoughtful for another person. Babysit for a single parent you know. Compliment your waitress. Bake some muffins and share with your neighbours. Volunteer some time with a seniors network. It takes your mind off of things and you simply feel better for helping someone else.
7. Meditate. Meditation allows you to be present to your experience NOW, instead of jumping forward to stressful scenarios of “what could happen”.
8. Smile. It really does help change your mood and relieve stress. It also makes you feel lighter partly because it takes fewer muscles to smile than to frown!
9. Make a Gratitude List. Being grateful helps you appreciate what you already have and opens up your heart chakra. Being in a state of appreciation actually allows you to receive more abundance! It’s how the Law of Attraction works: like energy attracts like energy. Stop everything and start your list with 5 things now… 1. “I’m grateful for… this beautiful summer weather!”, 2. etc. A Gratitude List is a great practice to do in the morning and set the tone of your day.
10. Read inspiring, uplifting quotes. I like to place Post-it notes on my computer, fridge and mirror to read during the day. Here’s a fave from the witty Oscar Wilde: “Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.”